Playford Council in South Australia has made a grab for the millions of dollars in revenue that can be had from installing automated electronic “Parking Inspector” spy-cam technology in the residential streets that surround a massively upgraded regional hospital that is woefully short on affordable parking space for staff, patients and visitors.
[Note: the short-link for this URL is http://wp.me/p1n8TZ-iQ ]
As the documents below reveal quite clearly, Playford Council deliberately lied to the residents in Treves Street and Siddall Road, Elizabeth Vale about the true purpose of a ‘parking trial’ that was supposedly about improving road safety and reducing parking congestion in these two streets which are immediately adjacent to the hospital’s main entrance.
The 1st letter dated September 23rd: Note the title of the parking trial and the logic used in the 2nd paragraph to justify the trial.
Despite repeated requests for “Full and Frank Disclosure” Playford Council has failed to make available the truth about its actions and motives in this letter.
Document #2 – My statutory declaration. The dangers identified were ignored as was the “below code – not fit purpose” empirical evidence provided in a video that was made available to Playford Council when the statutory declaration was delivered on 1st October 2013.
Document #3 – The Lord Mayor’s response. An employee at the hospital, note Mayor Docherty’s reference to the hospital “precinct.” Clearly, although he is the mayor of the City of Playford, he apparently seems to thing that his employer, the Lyell McEwin Health Service (referred to as the LMHS) is the ruling authority in the suburb of Elizabeth Vale. So, who does he represent; ratepayers or his employer who stands to gain an all-day parking monopoly in this “precinct”?
How serious a conflict of Interest is involved in the mayor’s above response and just how much does his apparentlyly failure to heed the dangers pointed out in the statutory declaration constitute Malfeasant Abuse of Public Office?
Document #4 – “The LMHS adjoining parking – Timeline of Events.
This document says far more than is apparent at 1st glance. Check out points such as the months of investigation into “timed parking opportunities, within close proximity to LMHS”.
That statement highlights the REAL PURPOSE of the so-called parking trial, i.e. the revenue to raised from parking fees and parking fines which, in Elizabeth Vale alone, could be as much as $5 – 10 MILLION. Ominously, if council could get the scheme working in Elizabeth Vale, the cash flow from using electronic parking spy-cams throughout the City of Playford would be mind-boggling to say the least!
Note the statement in the above document dated 23rd September – “Letter hand delivered to MP Odenwalder’s office.” On 30th November at what was meant to be a 20 minute token ‘whistle-stop meet and greet’, the local MP for the electorate of Little Par, Lee Odenwalder, effectively “ambushed” by a group of irate residents who do not the recklessly dangerous manner in they have been placed as a direct consequence of the phoney parking trial.
To say that Mr Odenwalder did not cover himself in glory at this meeting is a gross understatement. However, perhaps the most significant issue to come out of this “ambush” was Mr Odenwalder’s repeated statements that he knew absolutely nothing about the letter mentioned in the timeline of events. He was MOST EMPHATIC that neither he nor his staff knew anything about the alleged letter.
- Who is telling lies?
- Either Playford Council lied by falsely inserting the “Letter hand delivered to MP…” statement in an attempt to deceive readers into believing that the Weatherall Government, of which Lee Odenwalder is a member, knew about the so-called parking ‘trial’ and approved of it, or;
- Lee Odenwalder was deliberately lying to the angry group of voters that had ambushed him.
- A 3rd option is that Mr Odenwalder’s office staff had lied to Mr Odenwalder about their knowledge of the letter.
Regardless of who lied, residents and road users are in danger as the photos in the previous blog clearly reveal for they are being illegally forced to either ‘centreline drive’ or drive completely on the wrong side of the road!
Document #6 – A new name for the trial, a partial admission that the issue is hospital parking but still no admission that the real game is the millions of dollars to raked up in parking fees and fines if residents can be persuaded to drive on the wrong side of the road and risk potentially fatal collisions with on-coming traffic. Add to this a ‘public meeting’ to which most stakeholders are NOT invited, being held at a time when few can attend at venue that is dangerously unsafe for young children or senior citizens.
Where has this public safety issue meeting been scheduled to be held by the City Of Playford’s bureaucrats? In a car park at 5PM on a summer’s day!
What is so dangerous about this venue?
Check out the following info’ on Adelaide’s climate in December and the weather forecast for the time of the proposed meeting.
Thanks to the Noel Coward song “Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day sun”, we all know that going out into the heat of the day can be a dangerous act of madness. As the picture above reveals, yesterday, the Bureau of Meteorology expected the TEMPERATURE to peak at 5PM. Mind you, most people who live in Adelaide do not need the weather bureau to tell them that; they know that at 5PM in mid-December, it is likely to be hot!
Just how hot is December in Adelaide likely to be?
- “The month of December is characterized by gradually rising daily high temperatures, with daily highs around 26°C throughout the month, exceeding 33°C or dropping below 19°C only one day in ten.”
- “On December 16, a representative day, the sky is clear or mostly clear 38% of the time, partly cloudy17% of the time, and mostly cloudy or overcast 29% of the time. ”
- Source: http://weatherspark.com/averages/34070/12/Adelaide-South-Australia
- For December this is usually between 7 (High) and 10 (Extremely High) and the extended forecast for December 17th is 10.
- Source: http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/australia/adelaide/ext
> 77% is Extremely high and this is normal in December and yes, the extended forecast December 17th is for > 77%.
- “The relative humidity typically ranges from 32% (comfortable) to 77% (humid) over the course of a typical December, rarely dropping below 13% (very dry), or exceeding 91% (very humid).”
- “The air is driest around December 31, at which time the relative humidity drops below 43%(comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around December 11, rising above 72%(humid) three days out of four.”
- Source:The previously mentioned WeatherSpark reference listed above, http://weatherspark.com/averages/34070/12/Adelaide-South-Australia.
SHADE Temperature vs. SUN Temperature?
The forecast temperature for the 17th is 31oC which is classified as “Warm”. However, the car park has no shade and so what counts is the temperature that people of all ages and health conditions who are being deliberately exposed to full sun, must endure if they attend this meeting.
Source of the Bureau of Meteorology information below was:
- Thermal comfort, i.e. the difference between sun temperature and shade temperature on the Adelaide Plains:
- Edinburgh Airport at 11:30 am on 10th December 2013
- WBGT (Sun) WBGT (Shade)
- oC 18.1oC 11.2oC
At the time these temperatures were taken on an unusually cool day, it was therefore 61% hotter in the sun than in the shade. Such variation is well known, which is why good parents and people of common sense try to avoid exposure to direct sunlight during the heat of the day!
- With a forecast of 31oC, this translates to a DIRECT SUNLIGHT-exposed temperature of 49.9oC (31 oC x 161% = 49.9 oC) which is an extreme temperature for anyone, let alone babies, young children or aged people who are 65+.
- In fact, anyone who may have serious health issues due to exposure to extreme temperatures that are highly dangerous!
- The Sports Medicine Association, one of Australia’s leading group of experts on Heat Exhaustion make the following comment:
- The guidelines are not binding but SMA reminds all parties that they must act responsibly. We encourage a commonsense approach and consideration of the comfort and well-being of all individuals including participants and officials… Modification or cancellation of events, training or withdrawal from participation may be appropriate even in circumstances falling outside these circumstances.
- Source:HOT WEATHER GUIDELINES for sporting clubs and physically active. (page 1)
- Keep in mind that weather bureau monitoring equipment is usually situated over a grassy surface, not black bitumen which absorbs and radiated enormous amounts of heat.
It appears that in an attempt to discourage people from attending the meeting to discuss public safety issues related to the so-called ‘trial’, which has now morphed into a ‘pilot’, a term that has nothing to do with flying planes, Playford Council has ignored its own air-conditioned theatre which seat hundreds and chosen a venue that places the young, the old and the frail or vulnerable in a highly dangerous environment. Since anyone with a shred of common sense will not rock to a meeting in such a dangerous environment, Playford Council appears to be setting itself up to claim that there is no substantial objection to what they are doing and that therefore it is okay to implement the “timed parking zones” in Elizabeth Vale.
In effect, this is taking “Cooking the books” to extremes by literally using solar power to cook anyone who is opposed to council’s plans.
The need for Playford Council to lie to ratepayers and residents becomes evident when you look at residential access road specifications.
Many of the residential; access streets in Elizabeth Vale, indeed throughout the City of Playford, are only 7.3 metres (24 Feet) wide.
Compare that width with the minimum standards set out in the Australian design code below.
If the newly established South Australian Independent Commission Against Corruption , i.e the ICAC, refuses to investigate this issue than it will only serve to demonstrate the extent to which Australia’s justice system is becoming. If the ICAC is really “Independent”, then it must investigate this serious public safety corruption issue.
YOUTUBE VIDEOS. Below are links to 5 of the 6 videos of the problem so far presented to Playford Council that have all been ignored:
Published 4th December 2013
Published 20 November 2013
Published 11 November 2013
Published 1st November 2013
Published September 28th
One video, the 2nd to be provided to Playford Council in October 2013 is not posted on YouTube as the upload of this file crashed, possibly because my video was either too big or my lousy phone line was too slow.
In both the October email to me and the letter from Playford Council dated 3rd December 2013 you will notice that the URL for council’s parking trial feedback site is listed at:
That URL provides insight into the real purpose of the so-called “parking trial” was really all about.
- If you check out my 4th November posting, you will find that link is listed twice by me.
- Talk to residents or LMHS staff who park in Broughton Road or Lindon Street and you will discover that I was distributing flyers and pamphlets with that URL in October and November, and yet the 1st official mention of this URL to the residents in Treves Street and Siddall Road, a very restricted audience of stakeholders, was not until Playford Council’s 3rd December letter was delivered to residents on 5th December.
- WHAT WAS THE REASON FOR THE LONG DELAY IN REVEALING THIS URL TO RESIDENTS?
I LEAVE IT TO YOU TO FIND OUT THE ANSWER TO THAT KEY QUESTION.
Ronald Medlicott – A Christian activist for Justice in Australia.