It wasn’t just the UK Government and the British National Health Service [NHS] that were caught out ‘flat-footed’ by the COVID-19 pandemic.
NOTE: The short link for this posting is: https://wp.me/p1n8TZ-1vU
Just like the NHS, Australian politicians had been so tight-fisted with hospital funding that there were insufficient face masks and other Personal Protective Equipment [PPE] that in order to ensure that face masks could be kept for doctors and nurses, people were told that they did not need masks or gloves.
THAT ADVICE WAS FALSE.
Check out the link below and read the full text of this Harvard/MIT posting – it could possibly save your life.
Researchers at MIT; the Ragon Institute of MGH, MIT, and Harvard; and the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard; along with colleagues from around the world have identified specific types of cells that appear to be targets of the coronavirus that is causing the COVID-19 pandemic… They found subsets of cells in the lung, the nasal passages, and the intestine that express RNA for both of these proteins much more than other cells.
SIMPLE LOGIC: To stop the COVID-19 virus from getting into your nose, your lungs, or your intestines (through your mouth) YOU NEED TO WEAR A MASK.
KNOWLEDGE IS LIFE: WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW MAY KILL YOU, SO CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION GIVEN BY THE MAN WHO WORKED OUT HOW COVID-19 REPLICATES.
Dr. Mark Denison Vanderbilt University Medical Center Professor of Pediatrics, Professor of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, Craig-Weaver Chair in Pediatics
NOTE: Dr. Denison has decades of experience, having researched COVID virus since 1984 and was the first person to identify how this virus replicated itself. In 1995 he wrote a book about the COVID virus and was involved in the early development and trialling of Remdesvir, which is the only United States Federal Drug Administration approved emergency use treatment for COVID-19.
Although the Broad Institute seminar in the URL below contains complex technical details, “the fine print” of Dr. Denison’s presentation is very easy to comprehend.
I recommend watching the first 3 minutes and if you can, hang tough and watch the entire 61 minute video.
Did you know that Bats make up 20% of all mammals and that the increased contact between bats and people means that there will be MORE of the COVID pandemics,in the future. Take note that Dr. Denison does not expect a generic cure for these COVID outbreaks to be developed within his lifetime.
1. “We don’t have the data yet…
2. As a scientist I am cautious, as a physician I am hopeful. As a human being I am emotional…
3. I live a little bit in hope right now…
4. We know that antivirals are not the, all of those of us who do science, medicine and training understand the word cure is not a word that we can apply to these things.
5. Our expectation is to able to simply intervene, prevent severe disease, help those who are in severe disease survive and recover,
6. and to also, at least at minimum, from the science part, to be able to recognize the potential mechanisms that we can do to really combat this,
7. and obviously in association with other (causal?) things like vaccines, antibodies,
8. and obviously the essential need for public health measures.”
[At 5minutes:30 seconds] “Much research based on humanitarian factors that pre-date SARS and MERS, epidemics that demonstrated zoonotic transfer of COVID disease from animals to people.”
“The epidemics SARS- and MERS-Covs in humans have confirmed the capacity of CoV to emerge from animal reservoirs to cause severe human disease.
SARS-like bat Covs are currently circulating in nature that replicate in human cells, cause disease in mice and are resistant to existing therapeutic antibodies and vaccines.
“With increasing overlap of human and wild animal ecologies, the potential for future severe zoonotic CoV emergence is high.”
Need for Antivirals against CoVs
· “Broad diversity of CoVs in bats with demonstrated capability to infect human cell animal models-”
· “Time to develop vaccines differs from trajectory of epidemic.” [Translation: COVID pandemics will spread far faster than cures or treatments can be developed, which means that high death tolls can be expected. It also means that politicians who play politics with COVID could potentially kill lots of people.
· “Potential for ‘off the shelf’ use toward highly conserved functions – future proof.”
[Translation: Research needs to develop a genetic solution that can be used to treat the naturally modified COVID virus outbreaks that we will face in the future.]
THE MORE YOU KNOW ABOUT COVID-19 THE BETTER YOUR CHANCE OF SURVIVING THIS PANDEMIC:
CHECK OUT THESE LINKS:
LEARNING FROM 26,000 CASES OF COVID-19 IN WUHAN (Posted) March 20, 2020
Presenter: Dr. Xihong Lin Professor of Biostatistics, HSPH, Professor of Statistics, Harvard University
IDMP Program Meetings, Spring 2020: COVID-19 Research and Perspectives
The Infectious Disease and Microbiome Program (IDMP) brings together scientists from throughout the Broad, the Harvard/MIT hospitals and institutions, and beyond, to study and understand the role that microbes play in health and disease. IDMP hosts a seminar each Friday morning to showcase the latest research being conducted and encourage collaborations throughout the community. In light of the current COVID-19 outbreak, IDMP has shifted the series to focus on current COVID-19 research, as well as highlight different perspectives surrounding the community’s and the nation’s response to the pandemic. View additional talks from the series on the IDMP meeting page.